التخطي إلى المحتوى الرئيسي

News anchor who resigned after being suspended for Charlie Kirk tribute speaks out

EXCLUSIVE– A former Illinois TV anchor said she gladly quit her job rather than have to be silent about the recent assassination of conservative activist Charlie Kirk.

Former WICS-ABC20 Springfield anchor Beni Rae Harmony spoke to Fox News Digital about resigning after she was suspended for airing a tribute to Kirk last Friday and refusing to remove it from her social media accounts.

Harmony previously worked at Turning Point USA, the conservative advocacy group Kirk founded at age 18, from 2021 to 2022.

"I said, ‘Well, I'm not gonna stick around for that.’ I said, ‘I resign, and I refuse to be silenced. I refuse to be told I cannot talk about someone that I cared about,’" Harmony said, describing what she told her bosses after they informed her she was suspended and faced a possible firing for the tribute.

WASHINGTON POST COLUMNIST FIRED OVER SOCIAL MEDIA POSTS AFTER CHARLIE KIRK'S ASSASSINATION

Harmony explained to Fox that in the days after Kirk was murdered, she felt compelled to speak in his memory. Harmony hosted the outlet's "Marketplace" show about the central Illinois community before her exit.

"I was finishing up my rundown, finishing up my scripts, and I just felt this sense of, ‘I have to say something. I have to do something.’ And I went to my last block, and I typed a few words, not even a lot. I left it there," she said.

The former anchor thought her newscast directors would simply remove or edit the remarks, or "censor me without me even having to say anything," but they didn't.

During the segment, Harmony gave an emotional tribute to her slain former mentor. 

"I want you to know that it’s okay if you feel sadness, it’s okay if you feel — if you’re grieving. Two days ago, I lost a mentor, my first boss, the first person who made me believe in myself, that encouraged me to chase this dream that you’re watching right now: Charlie Kirk," she said.

Tearfully, she continued: "I want to share with you one of my favorite sayings that Charlie would always tell us at the office. He would yell it from the mountaintops, so please listen. ‘When conversations stop happening, when individuals become wordless, that’s when violence begins.’"

PROFESSOR SLAMMED FOR 'DESPICABLE BEHAVIOR' WITH CONTROVERSIAL REPOSTS ON CHARLIE KIRK

Harmony said that after she had posted the segment to her personal social media accounts Friday, her supervisor said she needed to take them down. Harmony refused and was warned she faced consequences, she said.

When she returned to the newsroom on Monday, she was told she would be off the air that day and could be terminated.

"I said, ‘You're telling me I'll be fired for paying a tribute to someone that I knew and someone I'm grieving?’" she said. "’Well, I'm not gonna stick around for that.’"

Harmony quit, and her resignation announcement quickly went viral.

WICS-ABC20 Springfield told Fox News Digital, "News Channel 20 has not fired or suspended anyone in the last 90 days." When asked if they threatened a suspension, the outlet refused to comment. The outlet, which is owned by Rincon Broadcasting Group, confirmed Harmony resigned.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE COVERAGE OF MEDIA AND CULTURE

Harmony told Fox that she met Kirk in 2020 when she was a student at Arizona State University. He inspired her to start her own Turning Point USA chapter in Springfield and pursue her media and political dreams.

"And that’s how I got involved at Turning Point and, at 18 years old, I remember being at that protest and being mesmerized," she said. "I had the opportunity to meet him that night and the knowledge that was radiating from his brain and just the energy that you felt around him, it inspired me."

She spoke about her time working for Turning Point and producing for conservative commentator Jack Posobiec’s "Human Events" show, where she got to continue to see Kirk, who was a frequent guest on the show.

"I'm just blessed to have gotten to know him and to have him roast me at the studio with Jack," she said. "That man taught me things that I'll never forget."

Harmony also reflected on the massive impact Kirk’s death has had on the nation.

"There are people that are Democrat, liberal, libertarian – you have every single side of the political aisle. But if they are spiritual in any way, if they believe in God, if they're Christian, they feel an emptiness in their chest. And nobody understands why. But it's because he was our brother in Christ. And that is why we feel the way we do about this," she said.



source https://www.foxnews.com/media/news-anchor-who-resigned-after-being-suspended-charlie-kirk-tribute-speaks-out

تعليقات

المشاركات الشائعة من هذه المدونة

Jacob Rodriguez talks 'special connection' with wife, Emma, a US Army helicopter pilot, ahead of NFL Draft

NFL Draft prospect Jacob Rodriguez is going to have a pretty cool job to tell people about when he’s taken next week by an NFL team to begin his professional football journey. But if you were to ask Rodriguez, his wife, Emma, has the coolest job in the family . "Any time I get the chance to talk about her is the best. Every time I get the chance to tell people what she does for a living, they’re blown away, and rightfully so," Rodriguez told Fox News Digital during a recent interview. CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM Emma Rodriguez is a 15A Aviation Officer in the United States Army. She flies the UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter. While Jacob was chasing his football dreams at the University of Virginia before transferring to Texas Tech, Emma, his high school sweetheart, was a West Point cadet. So, it only seemed right for them to partner with USAA , the official "Salute to Service" partner of the NFL, ahead of Jacob’s start in pro football to he...

Jim Gaffigan says comedy audiences are tired of political drama and just want to laugh again

Comedian Jim Gaffigan revealed in an interview why he's mostly steering clear of politics in his stand-up material these days. Gaffigan told Variety that comedy fans don’t attend stand-up shows to hear lectures. They go to escape the real world and simply laugh at silly jokes. When the interviewer mentioned the recent crossover between comedy and politics, Gaffigan responded, "People are coming to a show to have a break from some of this drama. That’s not to say there aren’t great comedians who talk about social commentary. The spirit of George Carlin is very important."  And he recalled his political jokes after President Donald Trump's first election victory in 2016 not landing how he'd imagined. COMEDIAN DUSTY SLAY REVEALS HOW FAITH AND SOBRIETY PAVED THE ROAD TO HIS STAND-UP SUCCESS "I remember when Trump was first elected, and my opening act had some political jokes. During 2016 and 2017, the audience would kind of look at the ceiling. The jokes...

Prosecutors present final witness tying Ryan Routh to Trump's golf club and gun purchase

Prosecutors on Friday presented their final witness in the federal trial of Ryan Routh, accused of attempting to assassinate President Donald Trump at his West Palm Beach golf club on Sept. 15, 2024. FBI Supervisory Special Agent Kimberly McGreevy testified about financial records, phone data, license plate readers and surveillance evidence that traced Routh’s movements from Hawaii to Florida ahead of the assassination attempt. McGreevy read aloud a handwritten note Routh allegedly left in a box at Lazaro Plata’s home in Greensboro, North Carolina. The note began: "Dear World, .. This was an assassination attempt on Donald Trump, but I am so sorry I failed you... it’s up to you now to complete the job." The letter also mentioned a $150,000 reward. McGreevy testified that bank transfers showed Routh had the money to pay that sum. PROSECUTORS TO REST CASE IN TRUMP ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT TRIAL, DEFENSE PREPS WITNESSES Jurors were shown evidence of accounts shared by Routh, ...