التخطي إلى المحتوى الرئيسي

Jimmy Kimmel's wife is 'angry all the time' after losing relationships with Trump-voting family members

Late-night host Jimmy Kimmel's wife, television writer Molly McNearney, revealed that she has lost relationships with some of her Trump-voting family members on the "We Can Do Hard Things" podcast on Thursday.

Following her husband's spat with President Donald Trump over his show being temporarily suspended in September, McNearney told the podcast hosts that she felt betrayed after some of her family members voted for the current president. 

Disney briefly suspended ABC’s "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" after the host’s remarks about the alleged assassin of Charlie Kirk sparked widespread backlash. After an about-face from Disney, the liberal comedian returned the following week.

JIMMY KIMMEL SAYS CHRISTIANITY HAS BEEN 'CO-OPTED AND PERVERTED' WHILE CRITICIZING TRUMP IMMIGRATION POLICY

"It hurts me so much because of the personal relationship I now have, where my husband is out there fighting this man, and to me, them voting for Trump is them not voting for my husband and me and our family. And I unfortunately have kind of lost relationships with people in my family because of it," McNearney said.

She continued, saying that for her, politics is no longer about "Republican versus Democrat," but about "family values."

"And it's really hard for me because I grew up believing in these Christian ideals of taking care of the sick and taking care of the poor, and I don't see that happening with this Republican Party. And so it's — I feel like I'm kind of in constant conflict, and I'm angry all the time, which isn't healthy at all," McNearney explained. "But I like personalize everything now. When I see these terrible stories every day, I'm immediately mad at certain aunts, uncles, cousins who put [Trump] in power."

TRUMP CALLS ABC'S JIMMY KIMMEL SUPPORT 'MAJOR ILLEGAL CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTION' TO DEMOCRATS

The television writer added that these feelings have been "really hard" for her to deal with and that she wishes that she could "deprogram" herself to make it easier. She also revealed that before the 2024 election, she reached out to some of her conservative family members in a last-ditch effort to convince them not to vote for Trump.

"I've sent many emails to family, like right before the election, saying, 'I'm begging you. Here's the 10 reasons not to vote for this guy. Please don't," she recalled. "And I either got ignored by 90% of them or got truly insane responses from a few. It's definitely caused a strain."

While McNearney said she’s lost touch with some Trump-supporting relatives, she told the podcast hosts that she’s grown closer to family members who share her political views.

JIMMY KIMMEL'S LATE-NIGHT EVOLUTION FROM APOLITICAL FUNNYMAN TO DEM ACTIVIST

"I've definitely pulled in closer with the family that I feel more aligned with. And I hate that this has happened… it feels silly," she said. "You know, part of me goes, 'Don't let politics get in the way,' but to me, this isn't politics. It's truly values. And we just were not aligned anymore."

Earlier in the podcast, McNearney recalled that when she was growing up in St. Louis, Missouri, she typically voted Republican down ballot until she moved away and "met people from different backgrounds." She went on to explain how her former views provided her with the insight to feel "a little bit of sympathy" for her conservative family members.

"There's like a little bit of sympathy I have for people in my family that I feel are kind of being deliberately misinformed every day, and they've kind of… they are deliberately being misinformed every day, and they believe it," she said.

The White House did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital's request for comment.

Fox News' Hanna Panreck contributed to this report.



source https://www.foxnews.com/media/jimmy-kimmels-wife-angry-all-time-after-losing-relationships-trump-voting-family-members

تعليقات

المشاركات الشائعة من هذه المدونة

Jacob Rodriguez talks 'special connection' with wife, Emma, a US Army helicopter pilot, ahead of NFL Draft

NFL Draft prospect Jacob Rodriguez is going to have a pretty cool job to tell people about when he’s taken next week by an NFL team to begin his professional football journey. But if you were to ask Rodriguez, his wife, Emma, has the coolest job in the family . "Any time I get the chance to talk about her is the best. Every time I get the chance to tell people what she does for a living, they’re blown away, and rightfully so," Rodriguez told Fox News Digital during a recent interview. CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM Emma Rodriguez is a 15A Aviation Officer in the United States Army. She flies the UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter. While Jacob was chasing his football dreams at the University of Virginia before transferring to Texas Tech, Emma, his high school sweetheart, was a West Point cadet. So, it only seemed right for them to partner with USAA , the official "Salute to Service" partner of the NFL, ahead of Jacob’s start in pro football to he...

Jim Gaffigan says comedy audiences are tired of political drama and just want to laugh again

Comedian Jim Gaffigan revealed in an interview why he's mostly steering clear of politics in his stand-up material these days. Gaffigan told Variety that comedy fans don’t attend stand-up shows to hear lectures. They go to escape the real world and simply laugh at silly jokes. When the interviewer mentioned the recent crossover between comedy and politics, Gaffigan responded, "People are coming to a show to have a break from some of this drama. That’s not to say there aren’t great comedians who talk about social commentary. The spirit of George Carlin is very important."  And he recalled his political jokes after President Donald Trump's first election victory in 2016 not landing how he'd imagined. COMEDIAN DUSTY SLAY REVEALS HOW FAITH AND SOBRIETY PAVED THE ROAD TO HIS STAND-UP SUCCESS "I remember when Trump was first elected, and my opening act had some political jokes. During 2016 and 2017, the audience would kind of look at the ceiling. The jokes...

Prosecutors present final witness tying Ryan Routh to Trump's golf club and gun purchase

Prosecutors on Friday presented their final witness in the federal trial of Ryan Routh, accused of attempting to assassinate President Donald Trump at his West Palm Beach golf club on Sept. 15, 2024. FBI Supervisory Special Agent Kimberly McGreevy testified about financial records, phone data, license plate readers and surveillance evidence that traced Routh’s movements from Hawaii to Florida ahead of the assassination attempt. McGreevy read aloud a handwritten note Routh allegedly left in a box at Lazaro Plata’s home in Greensboro, North Carolina. The note began: "Dear World, .. This was an assassination attempt on Donald Trump, but I am so sorry I failed you... it’s up to you now to complete the job." The letter also mentioned a $150,000 reward. McGreevy testified that bank transfers showed Routh had the money to pay that sum. PROSECUTORS TO REST CASE IN TRUMP ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT TRIAL, DEFENSE PREPS WITNESSES Jurors were shown evidence of accounts shared by Routh, ...