التخطي إلى المحتوى الرئيسي

Alan Alda reveals unexpected weapon in his battle against Parkinson's disease

Alan Alda is sharing his surprising method of coping with Parkinson’s.

The actor, 90, best known for portraying Captain Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce in the CBS wartime sitcom "M*A*S*H," was diagnosed with the degenerative motor disease in 2015 and publicly shared the news in 2018. 

The diagnosis came after the actor learned that his own behavior of acting out dreams could be an early Parkinson's symptom.

DAD JOKES MAY BE GOOD FOR YOUR BRAIN IN ONE SURPRISING WAY, EXPERTS SAY

"I had a symptom, which at the time was not that well-known: Acting out your dreams," he said in an Oct. 4 interview with CBS News. "I had a dream that somebody was attacking me. And I picked up a sack of potatoes and threw it at 'em. What I was really doing was throwing a pillow at Arlene, my wife."

Alda identified humor as his way of coping with the frustrations and limitations of the disease.

While he acknowledged the frustrations of the physical effects and limitations of Parkinson’s, he said "the best way to deal with anything that's a little bit of a problem is to find out what's funny about it and laugh at it."

In one example, he shared that when he has trouble controlling the computer mouse while composing an email, he personifies his condition as "Dr. Parkinson," moving his hand all over the screen and deleting things.

"I don't let Parkinson's define me," Alda said, joking that he sees the disease as "just a hobby."

PARKINSON’S PATIENT’S YEARS-LONG TREMOR VANISHES WITHIN MINUTES OF NEW ULTRASOUND TREATMENT

Rather than wishing he didn’t have the condition, the actor said he aims to accept his current reality.

"I really think reality is my friend," he said. "I don't want to wish it away. I can't wish it away. I can't hope for a better future. I gotta accept what is."

Although Alda acknowledged that everyday tasks, such as buttoning his shirt, have become difficult, he said he treats each one like a "puzzle" to solve.

"I do hate it, but the only thing that's helpful is: What haven't I tried? And pretty soon, you get the feeling, 'If I keep looking for new ways to try this, I'll get a solution.' It's a puzzle. Will I be able eventually to put my socks on? The last time I put my socks on was a tremendous moment to celebrate!"

SCIENTISTS REVEAL SURPRISING BRAIN BENEFIT OF LAUGHTER: 'IT'S A MENTAL WORKOUT'

Dr. Chadrick Lane, a neuropsychiatrist and director of the geriatric and neuropsychiatry clinic at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, Texas, agreed that humor can be a helpful wellness tool for those navigating the Parkinson's journey.

"Humor involves cognitive reframing, this idea of looking at a circumstance through different angles — not necessarily changing the reality that one is in, but shifting the meaning and the emotional weight of the situation," Lane, who has not treated Alda, told Fox News Digital.

CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR OUR HEALTH NEWSLETTER

When something feels frightening or distressing, such as a medical diagnosis, creating some "psychological distance" can make a "big, big change" in perspective, he added.

Connection is another important component of humor, Lane noted.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE HEALTH STORIES

"Humor is often shared. It brings us together," he said. "We are meant to share our lives with others. The importance of having a sense of belonging and humor can be a glue in that way, bringing us closer with others so that one does not go on the journey alone."

Lane shared that he has witnessed the power of humor and connection in his own practice as he cares for people living with Parkinson's disease.

"One of the wonderful things that I've seen in those settings is that, just like Mr. Alda, people crack a joke, [it] brings them a smile."

TEST YOURSELF WITH OUR LATEST LIFESTYLE QUIZ

The neuropsychiatrist also noted that Alda’s acceptance of his condition is "enormously empowering."

"It's the idea of saying to oneself, what are the choices that I can make in the moment?" Lane told Fox News Digital. "Rarely do we ever have control over our entire day and certainly not our entire life, but we often do have control over what we choose in the moment."

"Our sense of agency is an important part of our emotional well-being."



source https://www.foxnews.com/health/alan-alda-reveals-unexpected-weapon-battle-against-parkinsons-disease

تعليقات

المشاركات الشائعة من هذه المدونة

Jacob Rodriguez talks 'special connection' with wife, Emma, a US Army helicopter pilot, ahead of NFL Draft

NFL Draft prospect Jacob Rodriguez is going to have a pretty cool job to tell people about when he’s taken next week by an NFL team to begin his professional football journey. But if you were to ask Rodriguez, his wife, Emma, has the coolest job in the family . "Any time I get the chance to talk about her is the best. Every time I get the chance to tell people what she does for a living, they’re blown away, and rightfully so," Rodriguez told Fox News Digital during a recent interview. CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM Emma Rodriguez is a 15A Aviation Officer in the United States Army. She flies the UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter. While Jacob was chasing his football dreams at the University of Virginia before transferring to Texas Tech, Emma, his high school sweetheart, was a West Point cadet. So, it only seemed right for them to partner with USAA , the official "Salute to Service" partner of the NFL, ahead of Jacob’s start in pro football to he...

Jim Gaffigan says comedy audiences are tired of political drama and just want to laugh again

Comedian Jim Gaffigan revealed in an interview why he's mostly steering clear of politics in his stand-up material these days. Gaffigan told Variety that comedy fans don’t attend stand-up shows to hear lectures. They go to escape the real world and simply laugh at silly jokes. When the interviewer mentioned the recent crossover between comedy and politics, Gaffigan responded, "People are coming to a show to have a break from some of this drama. That’s not to say there aren’t great comedians who talk about social commentary. The spirit of George Carlin is very important."  And he recalled his political jokes after President Donald Trump's first election victory in 2016 not landing how he'd imagined. COMEDIAN DUSTY SLAY REVEALS HOW FAITH AND SOBRIETY PAVED THE ROAD TO HIS STAND-UP SUCCESS "I remember when Trump was first elected, and my opening act had some political jokes. During 2016 and 2017, the audience would kind of look at the ceiling. The jokes...

Benedict Cumberbatch caught on video in heated cycling confrontation over running a red light in London

Benedict Cumberbatch got into a heated exchange with a fellow cyclist in London. The " Doctor Strange " star was caught on video getting off of his bike and confronting an unknown man who accused him of running a red light. "You’re deluded, you’re lying. I was behind you the entire time," the unknown cyclist said in the video. Cumberbatch told the man he was "verbally" abusing him. "Oh no, I verbally abused the guy who completely repeatedly broke the law," the man said. "I did it once," Cumberbatch replied. BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH SORRY HE 'UPSET PEOPLE' WITH COMEDIC NON-BINARY ROLE: 'IT BACKFIRED' WATCH: Benedict Cumberbatch gets into road-rage biking altercation in London   The man then accused Cumberbatch of running two red lights, which the actor denied. The verbal exchange went on for about 10 minutes before the unknown cyclist left the scene and Cumberbatch posed for photos with fans. Fox News Digital reached out to ...